Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Apparently, it's called "Facebook depression."

Is anyone else under the impression that the internet is ruining our lives? (You like how I just pretended it hasn't been months since my last post?)

I know the internet is an amazing thing... I mean, how did people write term papers before Google? How did people find directions before Mapquest (and GPS)? How did people interact with each other before "The Social Network"? Ahhh, right, I remember reading about those ancient practices, like going to the library, reading a map, and, well, face-to-face contact with other humans.

Note the irony of writing a blog discussion the drawbacks of the internet. No internet=No blog. But when I get home at the end of the day, I don't read, I Facebook. I don't write, I chat. And in the days where reading, writing, and other intellectual practices seem to be going the way of Morse code and vinyl records, I think this is a shame. But I just can't help it! All day I sign in and out of Facebook looking for something interesting, but I've discovered there is nothing. Most people who have interesting things to say don't post them on Facebook, and most people who post things on Facebook don't have many interesting things to say. (Disclaimer: If you're my Facebook friend, no offense. You don't know which category you're in, and if you fall into the latter, well, perhaps I'm just a snob. Keep publicizing mediocrity.)

Today I even went so far as to enter the realm of a new social network- I joined Twitter. Upon my entrance to the "Twitterverse" as I hear it called, I posted on Facebook that Facebook is boring so I'm trying my hand at Twitter. This post elicited 21 comments- the most comments I've ever gotten on any update- and led to a semi-heated debate between Facebook lovers/Twitter hater and myself. My defense was that on Twitter at least you can follow intelligent people with interesting things to say.

Well, God bless the internet. And give me the strength to ignore it long enough to write something interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment