Tonight my sister asked a question asked by many before her: Why do bad things happen to good people? This was prompted by the news that our father's friend had suffered a stroke and was in intensive care. This event will, of course, change his life, and his wife's life, completely.
I don't think this question will ever have an answer. Bad things happen to everybody, but I think they are more noticeable, and definitely more tragic, when they happen to people who have always tried to be "good."
Perhaps the main explanation is this... Bad things happen, period. But after people suffer through these things, they acquire attributes that make them good. Suffering instills compassion, strength, wisdom, patience, innovation, and many other qualities that contribute to making you good. This theory, I realize, does not explain the people who experience bad things and do not come out on the other side. But that's just life isn't it?
That probably did not enlighten you, but I hope my verbal ramblings at least stirred some of your own thoughts. Good night, my darlings.
No comments:
Post a Comment