Thursday, August 2, 2012

The 17 Commandments... that's right, 17.

Last night I devised the official list of Commandments for my Happiness Project. Then I printed a copy and hung it on the back of my bedroom door next to the mirror I get ready in every morning, and printed a very small version, laminated it with packing tape (I'm nothing if not innovative), and put it in my wallet. Here they are:



The 17 Commandments:

1. Let it go.
2. Let myself off the hook.
3. Act the way I want to feel.
4. Have more fun.
5. Go off the path.
6. Lighten up.
7. Do good, feel good.
8. Be nice to everyone.
9. Do not expect praise.
10. Be generous.
11. Get off Facebook.
12. Read for at least 30 minutes every day.
13. Write every day-- blog, poems, screenplay, whatever.
14. Exercise for at least 30 minutes every other day.
15. Do not gossip.
16. Make other people happy.

...and I'm going to add one that was not on my original list, because I thought of it after lamination (damn!) and think it's important.

17. Hold myself accountable.

Because how will I live up to the other 16 Commandments if I don't?

I had a good day today... good shift at work... it's great to be around people my own age, laughing and talking with them, and its awesome to be active, running back and forth to the back room for a little of this or a little of that. And then, even though Commandment Number 9 is "Don't expect praise," and I didn't expect it, I got it anyway, in the form of my manager telling me I did a great job. Yes, that's right.... 2 days in a row.... But I'm not expecting it tomorrow. :)

After work I went to my dad's house for some Mahi-Mahi burgers... spending time with my dad always seems to make me feel more positive and give me a better perspective on things. While I was there I remembered a thought I'd had the other day... that I should get my mom's bike out of my dad's garage and attempt to bike to work once in a while. A closer look at the bike through the layers of dirt and spiderwebs showed that it needed a little work, so in a burst of motivation I ran over to REI 30 minutes before closing and set it up for a little tune up and the installation of new shifters. So, in five days I will have a much better-functioning bike with new shifters that I can take to work on days when it's convenient, and go for a ride around the neighborhood when it's not. Biking, while in my adult days only brings a very sore derriere, always reminds me of childhood. On our family vacations to Camden, Maine, we would take family bike trips into town. Then, as we got older and (debatably) more responsible, my parents entrusted my sisters and I with the awesome responsibility of riding into town by ourselves. We'd be gone for hours, going into the little stores and the ice cream shop and the thrift store where we'd buy three-dollar used bridesmaids gowns from the seventies to costume our nightly productions. I actually never wondered until just now what Mom and Dad did while we were gone......

ANYhow... biking will be good for my mind, body, and gas tank, and will hopefully bring me more nostalgic feelings of childhood than butt pain.

So, which Commandments did I specifically fulfill today? Let's see, shall we?

Number 8. I was definitely nice to everyone today.

Number 9. I did not expect praise... I did my best just for myself... and look! I got praise anyway!

Number 11. Instead of going on Facebook, I blogged. Which means I fulfilled.....

Number 13. Check!

Number 12... Well, I'm going to read some of my book when I'm done writing and showering.

Number 14. Hey, THINKING about exercising counts, right? I took my bike to get fixed! Ok, so I didn't do this one today, but, tomorrow...

Number 15. I did not gossip.

Number 16. I think I did this. :)

And Number 17... well, look at the ones I did today!

Now, to shower the coffee and bike dust off myself, and snuggle into bed with my book, and I don't mean my FACEbook.

Nighty night, loves.




No comments:

Post a Comment