Monday, August 6, 2012

AAAAAnd... we're back!

Ok, so I slupped on my Commandments for a few days (yes, I made that word up)... But c'mon, I'm getting into the swing on things, here! Seriously, though, Friday and Saturday I worked 16 out of 28 hours and it kicked my ASS... which will hopefully be getting smaller as I get accustomed to being on my feet, a stark contrast to the past 2 years spent sitting at a desk staring at a computer. When I got home on Friday and Saturday, I couldn't even stand or keep my eyes open, let alone write a blog entry or read for 30 minutes. I did count the time spend going crazy at work as my exercise... I figured that eight hours of running around boiled down would equal at LEAST thirty concentrated minutes... right?

I got my bike back today, and $205 later it's riding much better. Not perfect, but after another hundred it will be... if I ever have an extra hundred lying around. But it's rideable. So I'll be biking to work. Trial run tomorrow.

And lastly, because my focus is split tonight and I don't feel like writing a very long entry, I did a good deed on Friday, which made me feel pretty good. Which I guess is why there is no such thing as a completely unselfish good deed.

A man came in to work and ordered 9 drinks, and said he was taking the up to the hospital. I assumed he worked there and was bringing the drinks back for his coworkers, so I jested with him about how they made him the go-fer and sent him with only 2 hands to carry 9 drinks. It was a little slow, so I asked my manager if I could help the man carry his drinks to his car. At it turned out, he really needed this little show of kindness... he did not actually work at the hospital, he and his whole family was sitting at the bedside of his fifteen year old niece who overdosed on drugs and had been in a medically induced coma for a week, and things weren't looking any better. I know it was such a small thing, but I felt good that I could at least make the silly task of getting coffee easier for him, when the rest of his day was nothing close to easy.

It made me feel like I did something that mattered.


No comments:

Post a Comment