Good evening dears, hope you all stayed warm today indoors... a state of emergency is no time to go out. I'm writing this in bed, snuggled under my down-alternative comforter next to my twinkling Christmas tree. Even though boyfriend and I put the storm windows down last night, the wind is rattling the windows in their frames, and at times it is even rocking my whole house. My cozy room seems even more so in contrast to the angry blustering.
Today was nice... my boss is snowed in in Delaware and I'm snowed in here so I didn't have to leave the house for either of my two jobs. Instead I worked from home and read the new book I'm reading... coincidentally, the subject of this post.
It is called Little Bee, by Chris Cleave. Though written by a man, it has two of the most poignant and real women's voices I've ever read. It is about a Nigerian refugee in England and a recently widowed mother of a four year old who thinks he is Batman. Not only are the story and characters so brilliant, but the writing itself is reminiscent of a poem, especially in the voice of the Nigerian girl, Little Bee. I'm not finished with it yet, but am so happy to have found a book that I can't wait to pick up again. I don't think I've finished a novel since I graduated. Shameful, I know, for an English graduate.
Well, goodnight, darlings. I'm going to snuggle down for the night next to my sweetie and see if I feel like digging out my car tomorrow.

No comments:
Post a Comment