I started the year off by graduating... that's when it was official, at least. My classes ended in December but I was a January graduate. I finally finished something! Now all I want to do is go back. I always felt like I was working towards something when I was in college, and now I'm not. I can't wait to make the decision that I'm ready to go to grad school.
I went to Ireland right after I graduated, achieving the biggest goal I've ever set for myself... in doing so I discovered much more about who I am and who I want to be.
My relationship with Boyfriend has continued to mature over the course of the year, and though there have been a couple of rough patches where we both thought we'd throw in the towel, or throw the other one over a cliff (having one car between two people is hazardous to relationships), we are stronger and more connected than we've ever been, and he is truly a part of my heart. When I look back at the beginning of the year, it's amazing how different our relationship is and how much each of us has grown individually, as well as together.
In connection with Boyfriend, and also my affinity for traveling, this year saw not only the first time I've ever vacationed with a guy, but the second, too. We went to Seattle in September, and as you know, we just got back from Jamaica. Our dynamic totally changes when we get away from the daily grind, and its even more special spending time together.
This year I worked in a job I hated, but I was good at it and I saw it through until the end, proving to myself that I can do pretty much whatever I say I will. This seems to be the theme of 2010 for me.
I also got two jobs that I love, one as a nanny and one as an administrative assistant. While I know these are only temporary, they're fun for now.
And I started my own business this year. Wild Heart Cakes saw its first real customers, and I hope by the end of 2011 my business will be so prosperous that it can't be contained by my little kitchen with my ridiculous half-stove.
Yes, I make cakes in that.
I did a lot in 2010. So what do I see for myself in 2011? Well, I'm taking a risk in writing this because you'll serve as a witness and undoubtedly hold me to whatever I'm about to say, but here goes...
I want to see at least one new country this year. Traveling is something I'm absolutely meant to do, and I intend to see the world. Where will I go next? I'm not sure yet... stay tuned.
I also want to have at least 24 cake orders for the year. That's two per month, which is manageable for a first year business. I also want to take a class to improve my skills.
I want to write more. I already made my resolution to blog more often, and I've been upholding that promise... at least in the week since I w. But I miss my fiction and my poetry. In the book I'm reading that I wrote about the other day, one of the main characters is missing a finger, and she talks about how even though it's gone it sometimes itches. That's kind of how writing is to me. The difference is that writing isn't gone for me, and this year I'm going to write more.
And now before I bid you a Happy New Year, how about a little blast from the past... I just pulled out my diary, and in a New Years Eve entry dated January 1, 2002, here is the list of resolutions I wrote:
1. Take better care of myself.
Check.
2. Strengthen my relationships.
An ongoing lifelong process, but I do this.
3. Do better in school.
Well, as I'm not in school anymore this isn't applicable, but after I went back to school after dropping out I got straight A's. So, check.
4. Write, and finish something good.
I guess I'll renew this one this year.
5. Find out what's wrong with me.
This may never happen. :)
6. Get happy.
Check. Definitely.
Funny how resolutions from nine years ago make you realize how far you've come.
So, Happy New Year, darlings. I hope this year brings you the happiness you deserve. See you next year!

No comments:
Post a Comment