Saturday, April 24, 2010

"Got to pay your dues if you wanna sing the blues, and you know it don't come easy." ~The Beatles

And now, after promising the return of the blog, here I am 5 days later. Just call me The Procrastinator.

I'm sitting here at my new (occasional) Saturday night gig watching High School Musical 3 (I know, you wish you had my job), and thinking about paying dues. Especially in these tumultuous economic times, so many people I know aren't reaching their full potential or doing what they want to be doing. Struggling seems so commonplace now, even for people who don't deserve it.

I had an interview yesterday for a position at a technical writing/editing intern at a software company. Yuck. Double yuck. But if I get it, it'll be irresponsible to say no, right? I mean, if every writing position that I actually do want will only look at people with experience, I can't say no to experience. Ahh, well. C'est le vie.

Boyfriend is another one of those people struggling who doesn't deserve to be. He works so hard, and I feel like life keeps dealing him low cards. He has so much potential... life just won't let him realize it right now.

And he's not the only person I know who's stuck.

Will we ever be able to stop paying dues?

You know what, though? Even if we never do, as long as we have people in our lives to help us clean up our messes, pick us up off the floor, and stand at our sides, paying dues won't seem so bad.

I'm lucky to have many of these people.

No comments:

Post a Comment