Good morning, New Jersey! (I'm pretty sure my readership does not extend past the boundaries of the Garden State, but if you're reading this now and do not recognize at least three of the locations in the opening sequence of The Sopranos, please let me know! I'd love to hear that I have readers who can pump their own gas.)
Of course it's still early to tell, but I think it's going to be a good day. Nothing planned, nothing much to look forward to except a lovely ride up the parkway to take Boyfriend to work, then a trip down 80 to go to work myself, but still... the sun is shining, I started off the day with a nice cup of coffee with my dad, and ran into my best friend's boyfriend... all good omens, I think.
On another note, I was going through the journal I kept in Ireland and found a note for a recurrent blog idea on days when I have nothing philosophical or awe-inspiring to say: Word of the Day Blog.
Educational, no?
So I think today is the day to begin, and here's why. In the note in my journal, the word that gave me the idea (because I think it's awesome and I want to share it) was maudlin.
This morning, my dad used the word in a sentence. It's a sign.
Maudlin: adjective. self-pityingly or tearfully sentimental, often through drunkenness. She was very maudlin after three martinis. Synonyms: sentimental, emotional, lachrymose (also a fantastic word). Origin: late Middle English (as a noun denoting Mary Magdalen): from Old French Madeleine, from ecclesiastical Latin Magdalena. The sense of the adjective derives from allusion to pictures of Mary Magdalen weeping.
Now, don't you feel educated? Go use this word today (hopefully not to describe yourself, though). And I will be accepting suggestions of more awesome words for future WOTD blogs.
Have a wonderful sunny day!
(By the way, today's blog is dedicated to my sainted father, the Pain of my Ass.)
No comments:
Post a Comment