Today got me thinking... (Does it seem like I do that too much?)
The question du jour: Just how important is being stubborn?
When you're in the moment, it seems very important... you have a stance and you won't budge on it. Coming from someone who prides herself on her stubbornness... well, believe me, sometimes it feels like a life or death situation. But really, when you're out of the moment (which really doesn't take that long), isn't it easier to just let it go and move on? Isn't being happy more important than being stubborn?
I think so.
In my last relationship, I would not budge... no... matter...what. I would barely even bend. My way or the highway, brother.
The catastrophic end to a relationship riddled with fights, lies, and unhappiness taught me that there are more important things than being stubborn. Do I regret it? Absolutely not. If I'd already learned this lesson I may still be trapped in a miserable situation, instead of with someone who fits me much better and who I'm very happy with... just as happy after a year as I was after our first date. Plus, I was fifteen... of course I didn't know better.
Now, though, it is so much easier to let my strong opinions and sense of entitlement slide off in the interest of moving on... especially because I'm with someone who is just as strong-willed and bull-headed as I am. If we both never caved, we'd be deadlocked after every single fight (which are few and far between, I'm happy to say).
The only other thing I could ask for is compromise. It'd be nice to be able to be stupidly stubborn just once! When is it my turn?
Sure, it's illogical and immature. Get over it.
Really... Just get over it.
No comments:
Post a Comment