Thursday, January 28, 2010

Day 1

So I just typed a whole blog entry detailing my every move so far only to have my stupid windows pc crap out on me before I published it. So here it goes again, with a little less detail due to nausea and frustration.

Yes, I am quite literally homesick, fighting off waves of nausea and panic. I'm wondering what the hell I was thinking, booking this trip for a month. What's wrong with a week or 2? For someone whose never really been away from home, and definitely never in a foreign country, I'm a bit freaked out. Ok, really freaked out. I'm sure it'll go away, I just miss people a lot. It's strange being alone.

So anyway, the adventure so far: Got off the plane in Dublin Airport, which is unlike any airport I've ever seen... really small. Exchanged Dollars for Euro while I waited for my bag to travel around on the spinning trolley which I really wish I could take a ride on. Then went outside where I asked the cab coordinator guy, a sweet older Irish man, how much a cab would be to City Center- about 25 euro. yuck. So I decided to figure it out for myself and take the 41 bus for 2 euro. When we got to City Center Dublin, the bus driver, another sweet older Irish man, whose name I imagine was Seamus or Angus, must have seen the look confusion painted on my face and drove me off his scheduled route to help me find my hostel on Aston Quay (pronounced Kee, as I've recently discovered). That would never happen in New York.

Got to the hostel where I can't check in til 2pm (that's 9am for you lovelies back in the states) but the nice Spanish woman at the desk told me I could sleep on a couch in the lounge, which I did for a couple hours. And here I sit, now, blogging (for the second time today... stupid Windows) and listening to MTV UK which has been playing on the flat screen tv in the lounge since I got here. I finally got in touch with my family which makes me feel a little better, and now I'm just going to hang here and get my bearings for a bit. Perhaps I'll venture out into Dublin City Center a little later. I'm sure I'll need food.

Well, I'm off for now, so goodbye! Or as they say here, cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there lovely! in a few weeks you'll want to be back there:) enjoy yourself, and your time to reflect, think, and enjoy life

    <3Liz

    ReplyDelete