(Written at 2:00pm Dublin Time)
It's been so nice to have almost no verbal interaction with anyone. I know I'll make friends, as people keep telling me to do, but there's something to be said about saying nothing. I'm really enjoying the solitude and not having to make small talk or scold children... I don't have to say anything at all, and in being quiet, my thoughts have become much more active, and I've been more motivated to write than I every have been... even if it is only personal accounts about what I'm doing and not poetry or fiction. At least I'm writing. And not only am I writing, but I think of things to write all day.
This morning was a blast. I woke up and came down to breakfast... Irish generic Rice Krispies... answered some email, then got ready for Glenn's Irish Adventure Day 2! I walked around on my side of the River today- yesterday I crossed the river. My side of the river is home to Trinity College... you haven't seen a beautiful college campus until you've seen Trinity. I also saw 2 more really cool bridges... interesting how different they are even though they're so close to each other.
Let me tell you, when they say Ireland has four seasons in a day, they ain't kiddin'! This morning I walked around this side of the river, and within a twenty minute period.... not exaggerating... 20 minutes... it went from clear skies to gray skies to hail to rain to grey skies to clear skies. When it started hailing I was literally walking through the streets laughing.
Then I went to the grocery store 2 doors down from my hostel and got red grapes and Irish potato farls, whish are these little squares of unrisen bread made out of potatoes... kind of like latkes but there aren't actually pieces of potato in them. I ate them, now I'm taking a little break, and if I'm feeling ballsy I'll try to find St. Patrick's Cathedral today... it's not close and I have a blisten on my ankle from walking this morning but I'm a touch chica. More adventures to come, stay tuned!
(Written at 10:00pm Dublin time)
Wow, what a day. My homesickness has finally worn off since I've adjusted to the time, the money, the food, and the loneliness, which I'm actually enjoying. Today there were a lot of firsts for me. After my lunch break I walked around some more, and explored Temple Bar which is one happening area. Lots of pubs and stores. And I went to the National Photographic Archive and looked at old photos of the Risings and wars in Ireland... very interesting. It was so much fun that I didn't even get to St. Patricks... perhaps tomorrow. I even found my first Irish Starbucks!
It started raining again while I was walking around and it was chilly so I walked back to my hostel, latte in hand, but couldn't bring myself to go in. I found a stoop with a litle overhang so my legs were getting wet but not my book (I know what's important) and sat there watching the rain and the people and sipping my latte. When the rain let up I walked down to the corner to the Ha'penny Bridge Inn and had a cup of tea. It was here that I met my first Irish person, a young man named Keiran from Longford. We chatted for a while about the differences between Ireland and America. When I said Jersey he said Sopranos. Go figure. I sat and sipped tea and watched a group of rowdy bachelorettes from Liverpool get drunk, and then I went back to the hostel.
Then I went to dinner which was nice even though (or perhaps because) I was alone, and then went to a pub called Farrington's where I listened to live Irish music! It was awesome. Apparently I came on the right weekend because theres a music festival called Trad going on right now where a bunch of pubs are hosting musicians playing traditional Irish music. The flute player's name was Martin (:-D). As I was listening there was an Irish woman (who I later discovered was named Jean) dancing next to me stomping her foot with the beat... she was a little drunk and missed one or two... but she was really feeling the music. She came up to me and complimented my Hunters, and asked what I was doing in Ireland... when she found out that I was alone she took my hand in hers and squeezed until my rings were digging into their adjacent fingers and told me that it was brilliant to travel alone because you have the best time, and I'm traveling with guardian angels. Well, I knew that already. She told me that I was settling in well, and then proceeded to tell all her friends in the bar in a very proud tone that "She's traveling alone! Isn't that brilliant!" She gave me a big hug when she left.
I walked around after I left Farringtons, and now I'm back in the lounge. Today was awesome... and I have the pictures to prove it!
Sign outside a pub that I liked :-)
Customs House
Along the River Liffey
Sean O'Casey Bridge
Another bridge... how cool?
Random awesome ship stuck on the River Liffey between the 2 bridges...this one's for you, Dad.
True Ireland... even the buildings are falling over drunk :-)
This ones for you too, Dad.
Random hail storm!
No, seriously.... HAIL!
Blue skies 5 minutes later... Trinity College
Trinity on the way out.
Hmm... Irish students are asking questions.
Man feeding his sandwich to the River Liffey pigeons.
Musician in Merchant's Arch.
Dublin Castle
Where I got to wander around and see photos.
Cool sculpture in Temple Bar.
Starbucks!! And an angry Irish guy I didn't notice in my Starbucks-induced excitement.
Gemma Louise's bachelorette party in the Ha'penny Bridge Inn.
Outside the Inn... my first Irish pub experience!
Dinner
More street musicians, Temple Bar.
Musicians at Farrington's. Awesome.
Jean dancing to the music. ("Music makes me so hyper!")
So much fun.
Temple Bar at night.
See? Leprechauns are real! No, seriously, this wasn't a statue, he was moving. And begging for money. Guess he lost his pot 'o' gold.
Customs House at night!
Full moon over the River Liffey. It doesn't get better than that!
Wow... I've been trying to upload these pics since 10... its midnight. I need a new system. Enjoy darlings! Talk to you tomorrow!
OMG I LOVE READING THIS AND LIVING VICARIOUSLY THROUGH YOU! xoxoox
ReplyDelete