Martin put Irish music on the speakers as we drove through Dun Laoghaire (pronounced Dunn Leery) and into Glendalough (pronounced Glenn-duh-lock). The Gaelic name for Glendalough is Gleann Da Loch and translates into English as "The Valley of the Two Lakes," as it is home to... yes, you guessed it... two lakes. As we were driving it was actually snowing! We stopped in Glendalough for two hours where I set off by myself and hiked through the reserve. I was happy I had my hiking boots on... some of the other girls on the tour wore heels. Luckily, I have no need to impress anyone.
It was so nice just enjoying nature again, something I haven't done in a long time. I remembered being a kid and spending hours exploring the woods in the back of my house. This was much better, though... the woods in the back of my house did not have lakes, mountains, and waterfalls. It was incredible. Just look at the pictures. There was only me and nature, only the whispering of the falls, the crunch of my boots, the hiss of my breath, and the click of my camera shutter.
After hiking in Glendalough we stopped for lunch at a pub where I had traditional Irish beef and Guinness stew which I expected to be kind of gross but is now my new favorite food, especially after spending two hours hiking in the cold.
Then after lunch we drove up through the Wicklow Mountains... beautiful. It was here, though, that I realized that my camera battery, which had supposedly been full just this morning, had died. So I had to take the rest of my photos by putting my memory card into one of the other ladies on the tour's camera. You can definitely tell the difference, but at least I could take them, and there weren't that many more photo opportunities after that.
A few things I've been happy to have had with me in Ireland:
1) MY CAMERA
2) My camera
3) My camera
4) Self-timer
5) Telephoto lens
6) Hiking boots
7) Gloves
8) Knee-high socks
9) Myself :-)
It's only 7:00pm my time now, but I'll most likely be going to bed early so I wanted to blog early. I think I'm catching an early bus to Wexford tomorrow. Another scary day figuring out bus schedules and transfers almost makes me want to stay in Dublin, but I'm wayyyy too adventurous for that now. ;-)
Photos!
Martin!


















View of the Wicklow Mountains in the distance
The masts of Dun Laoghaire Harbor

Clock tower, Dun Laoghaire
Glendalough Visitors Center... like every other sign in Ireland, written in English and Gaelic.
View of the river and the Monastic city ruins, Glendalough.
Hiking
Me sitting on a log in Glendalough... love self-timer.
Poulanass Waterfall
Me standing next to the falls.
Yep, I hiked up that whole thing.
The bigger part of Poulanass... that was just the baby one before.
The river and the Monastic city.
Monastic city.
Ruins.
Can you tell that here is where I changes cameras? Such a shame.
Wicklow Mtns
Snowy! We did a shot of Irish whiskey on the bus after this... I'm not kidding.
The sheep that ran up to our bus, so Martin stopped and let us get out.
Well, hope you liked today's photos... Big thanks to Liz for the tip, I did this in about an eighth of the time.
Cheers darlings!



AAAAAHHHHH! This is too cool. Those pictures are AWESOME! Seriously, they look like postcards. Anyway very cool about whiskey on the bus, actin' like a true irish bean (apparently gaelic for woman) Anyway LOVE AND MISS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDelete