Today I got a glimpse of just how difficult this move is going to be, in the form of my last day with my sister. My littlest sister, Tess, has been living away from home for some time now, so my goodbye to her has come and gone and we've accepted it and settled into a groove. Saying goodbye to her was slightly easier, I guess, only because she's the one who left. It's not as if I had a choice whether or not to move far away from her. And I was happy for her in her own journey. Now, though, I am the one who is leaving.
The farthest Erin and I have ever lived from each other is 4 hours away, with the exception of short travels; and for the past few years she had been a train ride or a hellish drive over the George Washington Bridge away.
We spent the day on the boat today, enjoying the sun (her) and the sunscreen (me). After the day, I drove her to the subway where we hugged goodbye for the last time for a while. And as I turned to watch her walk to the station (and for the entire ride home) I had visions of walking with her to the grocery store to get pints of ice cream in high school, sleeping on her floor in her college apartment in Providence for weekend visits, and spending days walking around Manhattan drinking coffee, getting pedicures, and desperately trying to decide where to eat before giving up and eating in a "Mexican Restaurant" in the basement of Grand Central Station.
Needless to say, I cried the whole way home. And now as I sit here with somewhat burning eyes and a cry-headache, I am really not looking forward to saying goodbye to my Dad and finally shoving off. I can only imagine how many miles that cry will last for.
I guess I just have to tell myself that I'm strong enough.
P.S. This one is dedicated to Erin, as promised. My awesome sister who it is so hard to kiss goodbye. I love you.
No comments:
Post a Comment