Prepare yourself, here comes another blog featuring Boyfriend… But WAIT!
Before I lose your interest, I must tell you that it is not about him, per se, but what he is teaching me about life.
Boyfriend is completely honest with me (a nice change from previous dating experiences). From the first week we were dating when I painted something that he didn’t particularly care for, to yesterday when he told me that my sister is a better driver than I am and he’d rather she drive to lunch… He gives me honesty in these little doses, and at the same time I know that he cares about me.
My sister told me yesterday that she thought Boyfriend was good for me, because his honesty has taught me to take criticism that people offer as criticism of specific things, not myself as a whole. Sure, criticism may still hurt my feelings sometimes, but I now have the ability to differentiate between criticism and a personal attack. Someone may offer their opinion—that I drive too fast, or don’t paint realistically enough for some tastes for instance—and it’s really not the end of the world. As a writer, I’ll need this very valuable quality.
So thank you, babe, for teaching me this lesson, and so many others.
No comments:
Post a Comment