Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The wee small hours of St. Patrick's Day, a.k.a. If you give a mouse a cookie, she'll want to book a ticket to Dublin.

So I know it's late and I already blogged today, but I felt the need to document the runaway train of thought I've been on in the past hour....

I was lying in bed watching It's Complicated and Alec Baldwin mentions granola.

This made me think of my grandmother's granola, which made me want to cook.

Wanting to cook prompted me to go on FoodNetwork.com to look for interesting recipes.

The main page on FoodNetwork.com had a St. Patrick's Day special collection of traditional Irish recipes, including Beef and Guinness Stew and Irish soda bread.

This made me think of the Beef and Guinness Stew I had on one of my first days in Ireland, which gave me physical pangs of Dublinsickness.

My serious Dublinsickness prompted me to visit the Continental Airlines website, just to see how much the ticket prices are now.

Ticket prices are low enough that if I wanted to go right now (especially after this week in Florida) I could.

The fact that getting to Dublin is possible made me think of how much I'd love to move there, not just go for another short while.

The thought of moving there prompted me to go to jobs.ie and see if there are any jobs I'm qualified for.... hey, I'm already unemployed, I may as well expand my search across the globe, right?

Finding a few jobs in hotels that I know in Dublin and would love to work in but require working visas and European drivers licenses prompted me to search for how to get a working visa.

The results of my search for the process of acquiring a working visa were so confusing that I got frustrated and discouraged and I closed all of my browser windows with a few deft clicks of my mouse.

It is here, my friends, that you find me. On a pullout couch. In a hotel. In Florida. Totally depressed that I'm not on a twin bed. In a hostel. In Dublin.

Is there a prescription medication to cure wanderlust? Or should I just put my entire life savings into moving to Ireland, come what may?

I should probably stop watching It's Complicated.

Ireland Rocks. Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment