Monday, February 22, 2010

The best laid plans...

Up at six this morning and trekked out into the dark Dublin streets to catch a bus tour to the Cliffs of Moher. I got to the Tourist office on O'Connell Street at 6:45. Time passes, no bus. Finally at 7:40 I gave up and went back to my hostel and called the company. Turns out, there are two tourist offices, which they did not specify in the email. I sent the manager a copy of the email and hopefully I will get my money back.

Anyhow, since I'm away with nothing much to do since it's so early, I have decided to post some pictures from my last couple days. Keep in mind the ones from Galway are not up to standard in terms of quality because I did not have my own camera, I was using a point and shoot. (I could not be happier that I decided to buy that camera before I came to Ireland.)

Enjoy!
Galway:
Eyre Square


Sculpture in Eyre Square


Maggie and Erin "talking" to statues of Oscar Wilde and Eduard Vilde


Street market


 Again
 
Inside St. Nicholas Collegiate Church


  
  
River leading to the Bay


Claddagh, for which the original rings were named.


Maggie heading into the light under the Spanish Arch


Glass bulbs hanging in the Galway Museum


A currach, a boat used for hundreds of years in the west of Ireland made of sticks and animal skin.


Erin leaving our mark on the writable wall in the museum.


Street in Galway


Grafton Street/ St. Stephen's Green, Dublin
  
That's a mall. Can you believe it?

 
The arch at St. Stephen's Green

 
St. Stephen's Green

 
  
  
Sanctuary

 
  
Statue in a courtyard

 
Gorgeous fountain

 
Molly Malone, the most photographed statue in Dublin, and the heroine of one of Ireland's most popular song:

"In Dublin's fair city,
where the girls are so pretty,
I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone,
As she wheeled her wheel-barrow,
Through streets broad and narrow,
Crying, "Cockles, and mussels! Alive, alive, oh!"
"Alive, alive, oh, Alive, alive, oh", Crying "Cockles and mussels, alive, alive, oh".

She was a fishmonger,
But sure 'twas no wonder,
For so were her father and mother before,
And they each wheeled their barrow,
Through streets broad and narrow,
Crying, "Cockles and mussels, alive, alive, oh!"

She died of a fever,
And no one could save her,
And that was the end of sweet Molly Malone.
Now her ghost wheels her barrow,
Through streets broad and narrow,
Crying, "Cockles and mussels, alive, alive, oh!"

 

No comments:

Post a Comment