Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Dingle Day 5!

Have I really been in Dingle for five days? Crazy.

Well, last night I did follow through on my promise to Tess, and went down the street to a pub to hear some traditional Irish (or "trad" as they call it here) music. I walked into the pub around 9:20, the music due to begin at 9:30, and there were two other people there. So I ordered a Bailey's coffee from the bartender (Tommy, as I would later find out, and my new Irish friend) and sat there chatting with him and waiting for the music to start. I had every intention of leaving after a little while, but I actually had a really good time talking to Tommy and a man on holiday from Chicago (whose name escapes me) sitting next to me...another writer, actually. I didn't leave until one in the morning! Shocking, I know. I actually have plans to go out again tonight with Tommy, as he asked and I need human interaction... I made it clear to him that it was not a date, however.

This morning I finally took the scenic walk to the lighthouse which was just as beautiful as promised. It was chilly and extremely muddy, but fun. An Irish man I passed along the way told me that there were seals on the rocks ahead, but unfortunately I didn't see them. That would have been the cream atop the Irish coffee. :-)

Tomorrow, I think I'm going to take a guided tour of Slea Head with a man named Denis who runs a taxi company that apparently, like everything else in Dingle, doubles as something else, in this case, a tour company. It'll take me to some cool historical places that I can actually use as research in the Irish myth-inspired-fantasy I've been imagining for so long. And this just happens to be the perfect place to start writing it.

I have no immediate plans to leave Dingle... the only other place on my list is Galway, and I still have two weeks before I go home, so I have time to just let things happen, and what better place than here?

And today I finally have photos! Enjoy!

 
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  

 And that's all what it really looks like, all I did was press the shutter.

1 comment:

  1. Is the glass half full or half empty? The halfway point in the journey...does it still seem so long???
    Love Ya

    ReplyDelete