Friday, February 26, 2010

"Why, anybody can have a brain. That's a very mediocre commodity. Back where I come from, we have universities, seats of great learning, where men go to become great thinkers. And when they come out, they think deep thoughts and with no more brains than you have. But they have one thing you haven't got: a diploma." -The Wizard of Oz

I can't tell if my eyelids are so heavy because of my relentless jetlag, or if it's because I've been spending so much time looking (unsuccessfully) for jobs online. Shouldn't college prepare you for the possibility that you might graduate and realize that you don't want to do anything? Job hunting can be depressing when job titles are things like, Client Services Director, Program Assistant, and Partner and Participant Services Coordinator. I don't even know what the hell any of those mean! Why can't there be a job title that's something like Totally Awesome Person Who Makes A Huge Difference In People's Lives. I'd definitely send in my resume for that one. Not that my resume is anything to speak of... waitress, barista, babysitter, salesperson... no real jobs care about any of those. I am once again left wondering:
"What the *%#*@!! am I supposed to do with an English degree?"

But on the plus side (you have to really want to see it) I'm going to start studying for the GRE's soon, so I can take them and apply to grad schools to get a MSW (Masters in Social Work). At least that's the plan du jour. You never know with me... I tend to have at least thirty-five different plans each week. But I kind of like this one. And then I can still keep working "just-paying-the-bills" jobs because I know I have a purpose in the near future.

And speaking of just paying the bills, I am currently blogging from... yes, you guessed it... my old nannying job. The mom needed to call in reinforcements due to the inclement weather, and after a reasonably short brawl between my pride and my sense of responsibility, responsibility won out. I do have bills to pay...

 
 Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Ireland anymore.


No comments:

Post a Comment