After 3 miserable days in Cork City I arrived by Bus Eireann (pronounced Erin :-D) this afternoon in Dingle. Even the bus ride was amazing, like a tour... through mountains and past beautiful lakes and harbors. On the bus from Cork to Tralee it was pouring rain, and when I got on the bus from Tralee to Dingle. A few minutes after departing Tralee, however, the sun peeked through and slid over the green hills around us. And then, like a sign from the universe telling me that I really am doing the right thing, a rainbow. Now, any rainbow is a gorgeous thing, but when its a rainbow over green hills and the ocean off the coast of the Dingle Peninsula... there are no words.
I'm not sure how long I'll stay here, but it might be a while, as I still have a couple weeks before I come home. Dingle reminds me a little bit of Camden, Maine, the little town we used to take our family vacations every year. It's a tiny little fishing village nestled amid beautiful landscapes with a gorgeous harbor. Main difference: they drive on the other side of the road. It even smells like ocean.
I got to my new hostel at about quarter to four, and went up to my room... my room, that's right, because it's a single room! Small, cozy, with a bed and a desk with a little lamp on it... much more like a B&B than a hostel. There's even a sitting room next door with a fireplace which I will later put to very good use when I snuggle up with my book.
There is no internet here, but Paula, the very sweet animated Irish woman who runs the hostel, said that tomorrow she is going to get one of the wi-fi cards that plugs in to your computer. I hope it works. If not I'll be posting earlier than usual at an internet cafe.
Now, since I have only eaten a muffin and two granola bars today, I'm going to venture out for a bite to eat. (I bought pasta at the SuperValu, but don't feel like cooking it.) I will also make a stop at the hotel on the pier and see if they have internet, and post this entry. If not, you'll have two entries to read tomorrow.
***You probably guessed that I couldn't post this entry last night, as I could not find internet, so I'm now at an internet cafe down the street. If Paula cannot get me hooked up to the internet today I will be writing at night and posting the entries in the morning. I hope this is not the case, though. It is a beautiful sunny (!) morning in Dingle, and I think today I might take the scenic walk out to the lighthouse and then take a one hour boat excursion to see Dingle Harbor's resident dolphin since 1983, Fungi! Can't wait to tell you about it!
And now...drum-roll if you please...yesterday's photos!
Completely amazing.
The whole thing.
For Dad.
Dingle Harbor
The clouds rolling over the hills... beautiful.
Little street in town
My adorable little room.
All to myself.
No bunkbeds!
The sitting room, snuggle up next to the fire.
That's all for now, folks! Have a lovely day!
Cheers!
No comments:
Post a Comment