Thursday, February 18, 2010

Revelations of a Real-Life Adult

As my self-indulgent, terrifyingly wonderful Ireland trip is coming to a close, I'm starting to have that heavy-as-lead panic feeling about coming home to an existence as an unemployed-recently-graduated-ex-nanny-aspiring-writer/photographer. When I type that list of qualifications into Google, here's the job listing that comes up:

Professional Old Coffee Cup Holder
        Seeking: unemployed-recently-graduated-ex-nanny-aspiring-writer/photographer to sit on any undefined street in New York City looking extremely poor and unfortunate and holding a recently (or not-so-recently) drained paper coffee cup as they look up at passersby with sad puppy eyes that say, "Please won't you donate a few shillings to the Unemployed-Recently-Graduated-Ex-Nanny-Aspiring-Writer/Photographer Foundation?
        Qualifications: Experience as a nanny, barista, waitress, salesperson, deli-counter girl, and medical office filer. No real life or professional skills required.
        Compensation: Spare change.

Not very promising. In all actuality, all the jobs listed require at least two years of experience in any given field, and as I have no experience or qualifications to speak of, I'm convinced I'll be a nanny forever.

If only I had a skill! For example, during an excursion to Grafton Street today, I encountered a group of people surrounding a loud bearded Irishman juggling flaming batons. Amidst the din of uproarious applause, he demonstrated his ability to juggle the batons and a knife that looked like it came straight out of the movie Aladdin while atop a seven-foot unicycle. And I'm sure that Monster.com, Careerbuilder.com, Idealist.org, and Craigslist.org are all swarming with job listings for people whose qualifications include being able to juggle flaming batons while riding a seven-foot unicycle.

Unfortunately, I am unable to do this. So, despite the fact that I now possess a Bachelors Degree, I will forever work at Starbucks, GapBody, Keils Deli, Cafe Sultan, Papa Razzi, and for every wealthy stay-at-home-mom in the Tri-state area.

Remind me again why I decided to finish college...?

1 comment:

  1. Are we feeling a bit sorry for ourselves dear? Why are you wasting your last few days worrying? Be where you are when you are. Or as Jimmy Buffett says
    "Breath in Breath out, Move on."

    Now suck it up and get back in the game!

    ReplyDelete