Sunday, February 14, 2010

Sliante!

Totally fun night in Dublin tonight... The day was alright... relaxing. I took a walk along the river (which I really missed) and then came back to the hostel where I again met up with Erin and Maggie. We sat in the lounge for a while, then parted ways while I went out for a bite to eat (they preferred to drink their dinner).

After dinner we went back to their room and hung out with their three German roommates. Everyone was drinking except for me, and while I don't really care about peer pressure, hanging out with a bunch of people who are drinking when you're not is super-boring, and I didn't want to give up my only opportunity to be social, so I strolled down to the Super-Valu and picked up a bottle Bacardi.

We drank a little bit (I didn't even get drunk) and then went to a pub called The Porterhouse where we listened to live Trad music. Erin and Maggie are great to be around because they literally talk to everyone... it's teaching me to not be so shy. We ended up meeting a group of Italian guys and another group of Irish guys before we finally decided to call it a night.

Interestingly, after a couple days of hanging out and being social, I really appreciate the time I spent alone. There are definite positive aspects about each. Going to pubs by myself and being too shy to speak to anyone wasn't really a blast, but the night last week when I went out, listened to live Trad, and met Jean was really fun.

Yet another learning experience. Perhaps the point of this trip is for me to find the balance between being alone and being social. I know now that I do have the ability to be completely alone. I also know that it isn't that difficult to just go up to someone and talk to them, like Erin and Maggie do... I mean, what's the worst that can happen? There's always another pub right down the street. Knowing that I can be alone and I can be social is something I never intellectually comprehended before... it was always one or the other. But there is a time for both, and I hope that when I get home I can exercise both of these abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment